Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I took your advice

I was out this morning to paint another 20 or so posts, but I didn’t use my right arm at all.  I’ll be giving it a rest from painting.  Of course, using my left arm only had its own results.  Using your not dominate arm and hand to do things can be a little awkward.  At one point, vigorously slathering on the paint with my left hand resulted in a huge blob of paint flying through the air and landing directly on my glasses and nose.  Uf-dah!  I’m sure glad I’ve dedicated an old pair of jeans and one shirt to this painting assignment.  It took me a while to get things cleaned up so I could see to continue.  Smile with tongue out

In the afternoon, it was time to experience a new assignment.  I sure would like to report that it was something very exciting like capturing and banding waterfowl, but I’m afraid it was rather mundane.  So sorry to those of you that said you couldn’t wait to hear what I would be doing.

IMG_9441This refuge, like many others, supports recycling paper, glass, tin, batteries, cardboard, and plastics.  I think Steve made the last recycling run in June, so the garage that is dedicated to recyclables was close to overflowing.  I figured it would take several trips to the recycling center in Detroit Lakes to empty that garage.

IMG_9442

What a job it was to clean all of that up, but somehow loading the bed of the truck and the back seat, we got everything stuffed in for only one trip.  We had over 90 pounds of glass alone, so you know I had to have some help getting everything into the truck bed.  The recycling place is an experience in itself, but I didn’t take any pictures of that noisy place.  I was happy to support recycling rather than just filling up our landfills with all of this stuff.

Word has gotten around that I was thinking of returning here next year, so I was asked if I could help with the bird festival in May, 2014.  I was also assured that I would be leading bird tours in May and June.  It hasn’t been a snap decision for me to return to Tamarac next year.  I’ve been thinking about it for quite some time.  I’ve weighed all the pros and cons, and think this is a good fit for me.  It’s a beautiful RV site, I’ll be doing bird stuff, most of my kids and grandkids are within a day’s drive, and then there’s the bread, malts, and sponge candy in the area.  What’s not to love about all of that?  Maybe next year I’ll get a chance to get a picture of one of those wolves.

Tomorrow I’ll be doing some mowing since the rain over the weekend has helped the burnt out grass come back to life.  Neil, the refuge manager, is rather picky about the weeds surrounding the temporary headquarters that grow no matter if it rains or not, so I’ll be mowing those down to make him happy.  Time to get those steel-toed boots on again.  Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment